Casino

Las Vegas Sands reported a 2Q loss of nearly $ 1B thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic

Friday 24 de July 2020 / 03:24

⏱ 1 min read

(Las Vegas).- According to a Reno Gazette-Journal report, the company that owns the Las Vegas Strip casinos Venetian and Palazzo announced in an earnings call Wednesday that it lost $985 million from April through the end of June. It represents a 97.1 percent drop from the same period in 2019.

Las Vegas Sands reported a 2Q loss of nearly $ 1B thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic

During most of the second quarter, Nevada’s casino market was shut down by Gov. Steve Sisolak, who forced casinos to shutter in mid-March and allowed them to reopen June 4.

But COO Rob Goldstein predicted a grim future for the Las Vegas gambling market if conventions and other draws to tourists are stifled because of the virus.

“Las Vegas cannot perform well without [the] return of these segments,” said Goldstein on the earnings call. “It cannot make money with limited hotel occupancy.”

Goldstein went on to say that Las Vegas has transformed from a worldwide gambling destination to a regional hub. He said that the city is now dependent on “drive-in” traffic.

The decrease in revenue and demand, even after the reopening of the gambling market, has led to massive job loss both in Las Vegas and in other parts of the country.

Wynn Resorts announced Wednesday that it would furlough thousands of workers and the now Phil Ruffin-owned Circus Circuis announced that it would lay off 262 employees. New Caesars CFO Bret Yunker confirmed earlier this week that following the merger with Eldorado Resorts, the company would be cutting jobs as well.

This comes after thousands of Nevada casino workers were notified of job cuts earlier this month. According to the Nevada Department of Employment, the current unemployment rate is 15 percent.

Categoría:Casino

Tags: Sin tags

País: United States

Event

PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026

17 de June 2026

ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.

Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00

Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.

Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00

LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.

Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00

SUSCRIBIRSE

Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos

Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.