Casino

Star Entertainment Wins Approval for $300 Million Financial Rescue

Friday 21 de November 2025 / 12:00

ABC

⏱ 2 min read

(Sydney).- Gaming authorities in Queensland and New South Wales endorse US-led bailout for Star Entertainment.

Star Entertainment Wins Approval for $300 Million Financial Rescue

Queensland and New South Wales gaming authorities have given the green light to a US-led rescue package for the embattled Star Entertainment Group.

Earlier this year, Star agreed to a $300 million lifeline from US gambling giant Bally's, as well as Investment Holdings Pty Ltd, which is controlled by pub baron Bruce Mathieson and his family.

The move was approved by shareholders in June. Combined the two companies will own more than half of the embattled casino operator.

On Friday, Queensland Attorney-General Deb Frecklington announced she had given both Bally's and Investment Holdings the necessary regulatory sign offs.

She said an investigation by the state's Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation had deemed both entities to be "suitable".

"Following this investigation, and after careful review of the material presented to me, I have now granted the necessary regulatory approvals, which will allow Bally's Corporation and Investment Holdings to convert their debt into equity in The Star, at their discretion," Ms Frecklington said.

"This will provide both entities with a significant ownership stake and influence over the management of The Star's casino operations in Queensland."

The NSW Independent Casino Commission (NICC) also announced it had given Bally's the necessary approvals to become a substantial shareholder of The Star.

NICC chief commissioner Philip Crawford said Bally's and its associated entities had undergone a rigorous assessment.

He confirmed they had satisfied the NICC that there were no adverse findings that would prevent them from becoming close associates of Star.

The NICC also announced it had approved a proposal from Investment Holdings to increase its shareholding in Star.

"Both the close associate approvals and the major change approval for The Star will allow Bally's and Investment Holdings to move forward with their financial and operational commitments in respect of The Star which we anticipate will be happening very soon," Mr Crawford said.

In an announcement to the ASX, Star said the approvals would enable the conversation of Bally's and Investment Holdings' $300 million investment into equity.

It will also allow Star to nominate new members to its board.

In a statement, Star's chair Anne Ward said the group was pleased with the regulatory approvals.

"This is a critical step in The Star's progress towards a return to suitability and financial stability," she said.

"We look forward to working with each of Bally's and Investment Holdings to facilitate an orderly transition and to provide a pathway for a successful future for The Star."

Star owns casinos in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and Sydney, and employs thousands of workers.

Categoría:Casino

Tags: Sin tags

País: Australia

Región: Oceania

Event

PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026

17 de June 2026

ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.

Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00

Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.

Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00

LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors

(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.

Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00

SUSCRIBIRSE

Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos

Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.