The Star Sydney commences cashless gaming trial
Monday 26 de February 2024 / 12:00
⏱ 2 min read
(Sydney).- Australia’s Star Entertainment Group confirmed Friday that it has commenced a formal trial of cashless gaming and carded play at The Star Sydney casino following the receipt of relevant regulatory approvals.
The trial is a precursor to reforms to the NSW regulatory framework which will see cashless gaming and carded play become mandatory in NSW casinos from August 2024.
According to details provided by Star, the trial will apply to 51 poker machines and eight table games within the “Sovereign Room” at The Star Sydney.
“The commencement of the trial follows months of planning, development, testing and training in consultation with relevant regulators,” said Star’s Group CEO and Managing Director, Robbie Cooke.
“The trial environment provides an opportunity to test the new technologies and processes, from the perspective of both our guests and our team members. Readiness for the new regime that will apply from August 2024 is a key element of our transformation program.”
Both Star and Crown originally first reached an agreement with the NSW Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) in May 2021 to implement cashless gaming technology in their casinos, part of their efforts to achieve suitability.
Philip Crawford, then ILGA head and now Chairman of the NSW Independent Casino Commission, stated at the time, “The onus there is being able to trace where the money is coming from,” said Crawford. “It is very consistent with the KYC technology and regulations that our banks operate under.”
Crawford last week directed a second review into The Star Sydney’s suitability due to what he says are concerns over the effectiveness of the company’s remediation efforts.
The inquiry will again be overseen by Adam Bell SC, barely 18 months after he originally recommended Star be found unsuitable following a previous inquiry held in 2022.
Categoría:Casino
Tags: Sin tags
País: Australia
Región: Oceania
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.