Macau government says no plans to cut gaming tax
Wednesday 11 de March 2020 / 14:14
⏱ 4 min read
(Macau).- Macau’s Secretary for Economy and Finance, Lei Wai Nong, stated last week that the government has no intention of cutting gaming taxes in order to ease financial pressures on the industry as a result of the global COVID-19 outbreak.
“The gaming industry has had a good time in the past,” Lei said at a press conference. “In accordance with the current gaming law and regulations, gaming operators have to pay several taxes. Thus tax concession for the gaming industry is related to relevant law amendments. We don’t have this kind of intention at this moment.”
Gaming operators in Macau are levied around 39% in taxes on gaming revenues, including 35% government tax with several contributions for social and economic purposes.
Gaming revenues plunged 87.8% to MOP$3.1 billion in February, prompting the likes of SJM Vice-Chairman, Executive Director and CEO Ambrose So Shu Fai to call for gaming taxes to be eased.
Expecting the government deficit to reach MOP$40 billion this year, Lei said that businesses in the gaming sector and other associated industries such as retail, dining and hotels would recover when the epidemic stabilizes.
“Once the situations in Macau and cities nearby are stabilized, I believe that tourists will come back soon. Macau will recover soon,” he said.
“Therefore Macau has to do our best in preventive measures for not only our citizens, but also to show tourists that we are safe.”
Lei expressed his appreciation to gaming operators for donating money and medical supplies to support the community.
In order to revitalize Macau’s economy, the government recently announced a stimulus package that will see citizens receive MOP$10,000 cash in April, and a MOP$3,000 e-coupon to be used between May and July.
“Top 5” junket re-hires 200 laid-off staff after DICJ sends warning letter to gaming operators
Macau’s gaming regulator, the DICJ, has written to the city’s gaming operators demanding they refrain from laying off workers after it was revealed that a “top 5” junket operator had laid off around 200 employees due to the impact of the coronavirus on operations.
Hong Kong Chinese-language media group All In reported that the junket operator had since re-hired the employees – representing around 25% of its entire workforce – after coming under external pressure, with the DICJ stating it was highly concerned by the layoffs. MGS News understands the operator has also closed three of its Macau junket rooms at Grand Lisboa, Altira and Wynn Macau, although it remains unclear whether this is a permanent or temporary measure.
It has since emerged that the DICJ sent written letters to Macau’s gaming operators calling for them to maintain current employment levels. Operators contacted by MGS News confirmed they had received the letter.
“With the resumption of operations across all industries, the Macau economy will face serious challenges,” the letter reads.
“Maintaining social responsibility is one of the priorities of the Macau SAR Government. In this difficult period, companies should make every effort to ensure the employment of employees and maintain a stable labor market.”
All In reports that the CEO of the junket in question this week met with the 200 employees in question, explaining the company had made its original decision due to concerns over a lack of business through Q2 and Q3. The company expects to record a loss in 2020, he reportedly said.
The DICJ’s letter was sent to all gaming operators, intermediaries, suppliers, distributors and test laboratories.
Macau’s last remaining patient cleared of coronavirus
The last of Macau’s 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19 was discharged from hospital on Friday 6 March, as Macau was declared coronavirus free.
The 64-year-old local woman has been sent to a quarantine ward to undergo a 14-day medical observation period, with the news of her recovery coming just over one month since the SAR’s 10th and final diagnosis was reported on 4 February.
Of those, seven patients from Wuhan have now returned to mainland China while the three Macau residents to contract COVID-19 remain under observation ahead of returning to the community.
“We achieved the goal of having no severe cases, no deaths and no infections in hospital,” said Health Bureau Director Lei Chin Ion. “We appreciate all the efforts of our front line personnel and the support from all departments.”
While Macau’s borders remain heavily restricted, the government sent its first charter flight to Wuhan to bring home 59 Macau residents who have been stuck in the city where the virus outbreak originated.
Addressing concerns over the potential for a new round of infections in Macau as a result of those residents returning, Lei reiterated that all passengers would be required to confirm their health status before boarding and made to wear preventive clothing for the duration of the flight. They will also be sent directly to Ka Ho quarantine wards for a 14-day quarantine period immediately upon landing.
Categoría:Gaming
Tags: Sin tags
País: Macao
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.