Nevada records first decline in gaming win in eight months
Friday 26 de April 2024 / 12:00
⏱ 2 min read
(Las Vegas).- State gaming win declined in March for the first time in eight months, according to a report released Thursday by the Nevada Gaming Control Board.
Despite a 1.7 percent decline statewide, a 1.6 percent drop in Clark County and a 1.2 percent dip in Strip revenue, totals for three-quarters of the fiscal year and the first quarter of calendar year 2024 are all ahead of previous-year levels.
Clark County and the Strip also had slight declines in January.
Michael Lawton, the Control Board’s senior economic analyst, said March may have been disappointing to some considering the strong list of events that month — concert performances by Bruce Springsteen. Madonna and Carrie Underwood and the return of NASCAR to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway — but the month was being compared with an all-time-record slot-machine revenue total collected in March 2023.
Among Southern Nevada’s gaming markets, North Las Vegas, Mesquite and the Boulder Strip trail the previous fiscal year’s gaming win with the Strip up 6.5 percent.
While the March calendar was filled with popular events, it may not have been as robust as in March 2023 when Taylor Swift had two performances at Allegiant Stadium, the massive ConExpo-Con/Ag construction equipment trade show was in town and the NCAA basketball tournament had regional matchups at T-Mobile Arena.
The state’s 444 licensed major casinos won $1.29 billion from gamblers while the 220 casinos in Clark County won $1.132 billion and the Strip’s 61 locations, $715.9 million.
Of the 20 submarkets monitored by the Control Board, 12 showed declines in March with downtown Las Vegas having the largest, down 12.9 percent to $76.2 million. The best performers in the state: Wendover and outlying Washoe County, both up 7 percent.
Despite March Madness wagering dominating sports betting that month, Nevada sportsbooks won $29.8 million, off 32.1 percent from a year earlier. The Control Board said players were luckier with their sports bets with the casino hold percentage at 3.79 percent compared with 5.28 percent last year. Bettors also wagered 5.5 percent less than they did a year ago, $784.4 million, and the amount bet through mobile wagering was down 4.6 percent to $507 million.
Baccarat play was one of the few bright spots for the casinos because they were luckier than players.
Casinos won $114.7 million, a 75.5 percent increase over last year in baccarat, thanks to a hold percentage of 18.81 percent this year compared with 10.33 percent last year.
The Control Board also said gaming tax collections continue to be on track to total more than $1 billion for the state’s general fund in the current fiscal year. After nine months of collections, the state has received $841.5 million, a 2.4 percent increase over the 2022-23 fiscal year.
Categoría:Reports
Tags: Sin tags
País: United States
Región: North America
Event
PERU GAMING SHOW – PGS 2026
17 de June 2026
ProntoPaga Consolidates Its Position at Peru Gaming Show 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- Juan Carlos Loza, Head of Sales Latam at ProntoPaga, spoke exclusively after the company's participation in Peru Gaming Show 2026, highlighting the agreements reached, the interest in their payment solutions, and the expansion plans that will drive their growth across Latin America.
Monday 03 Aug 2026 / 12:00
Enhancing Responsible Gaming Through Effective Training at PGS 2026
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive) – Training, prevention, and technology took center stage at the "Value of Responsible Gaming in Gambling Operations" conference during the 2026 Perú Gaming Show (PGS). Presented by Fernando Calderón Castro, President of the National Gaming Society (SONAJA), the session brought industry leaders together to tackle current challenges and explore strategies for safer, more transparent, and sustainable operations.
Wednesday 22 Jul 2026 / 12:00
LSports at the Peru Gaming Show: Building Presence, Opening Doors
(Lima, SoloAzar Exclusive).- The Peru Gaming Show was never just about the booth. For LSports, it was about showing up in a market where showing up still matters — and leaving with more than a contact list. Federico Brancato, Sales Manager for the LATAM Region, came to Lima with a clear sense of what operators in this part of Latin America need most right now. What he found confirmed it.
Friday 17 Jul 2026 / 12:00
SUSCRIBIRSE
Para suscribirse a nuestro newsletter, complete sus datos
Reciba todo el contenido más reciente en su correo electrónico varias veces al mes.